CBJ revises rules on masking in light of updated CDC guidance
May 14, 2021
If you are fully vaccinated, the City and Borough of Juneau no longer requires masks be worn in most indoor or outdoor settings. CBJ revised its COVID-19 Mitigation Strategies to reflect the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s updated guidance for fully vaccinated people. Individuals are fully vaccinated two weeks after the receipt of one dose of a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine, or the second dose in a two-dose series. CDC still recommends unvaccinated people wear masks and social distance. Everyone – regardless of vaccination status – must continue to wear a mask on Capital Transit, in Juneau International Airport, Juneau School District facilities, Bartlett Regional Hospital, and in any local business, workplace, healthcare, or other setting that still requires it.
“This will feel like an abrupt change to some people and it will take time to get comfortable with these new rules. Some fully vaccinated people may still choose to wear masks, and that’s OK,” City Manager Rorie Watt said. “Juneau has worked hard at keeping COVID-19 in check and we’ve made good strides in our vaccination rate. But let’s not forget that kids under the age of 12 cannot, at this time, get the vaccine. While most kids with COVID-19 have mild cases, some do develop serious illness or long-lasting symptoms. As our community transitions to these updated mitigation strategies, it’s important to be considerate and respectful of our neighbors.”
With more than 50 percent of Juneau fully vaccinated, the overall community risk level is still at Level 1b – Minimal. These revised mitigation strategies, which are currently in effect, no longer have restrictions for fully vaccinated individuals:
- Masks/Social Distance: Masks must still be worn in indoor public areas and outdoors in crowded events by those who are not yet fully vaccinated.
- Large Gatherings: Indoor gathering size should be limited to maintain 6-ft social distance if people who are not fully vaccinated are present. Masks must be worn by those who are not fully vaccinated.
- Restaurants and Bars: Patrons who are not fully vaccinated must wear a mask unless actively eating or drinking. Maintaining 5 feet distance between parties/tables is recommended.
- Personal Services and Gyms: Masks must be worn by those who are not fully vaccinated. Limiting capacity to maintain 6-ft social distance is recommended.
- Travel: Follow State of Alaska Health Advisories. Unvaccinated travelers are recommended (but not required) to either take a pre-travel test or a free COVID-19 airport test, avoid indoor public areas and crowded locations until you get your test result, and return to the airport for a follow-up test in 5-14 days.
Find out where to get a COVID-19 vaccine at juneau.org/vaccine or here. For more information, email COVIDquestions@juneau.org.